Is it possible to carry multiple books or even a single book in your pocket? if you ask this question to your parents or grandparents, the answer will definitely be “NO", but if you ask the same question to a child of this generation, he/she will definitely say “YES," because the babies of present generation are born with the knowledge of “Digital Revolution."
Of course, there may be some disadvantages, but many advantages have also been found by many people/industries/countries. Because of these advantages, the negative portion is not considered.
The subject of my description is nothing but e-books. Many people know about them.
The e-book has revolutionized the entire world especially the educational system, where students or professors used to carry many books, a tedious and costly affair; these days the hardback books are replaced by e-books, which have many advantages.
Making people shift from traditional reading to digital reading is not that easy; there should be a solid reason for them to change, and of course, e-book provides many such reasons.
GIANT features of e-book
- E-books consume less space that too virtual space.
- They do not require separate storage place.
- They can be carried on any small device, which one can use from anywhere and anytime.
- They provide many search options using which we can search for any information, instead of turning page after page.
- They are interactive media content, i.e., audio and video, which can be embedded into e-books.
- Accessibility features can be added for easy reading of physically challenged people.
- They can be printed if needed.
- They help save fuel used for transporting the printed books.
- They are easy to sell and distribute; even a remote village can purchase a book from a handy device. Is this not a big revolution? Please ask yourself.
- There exist many other features that have not been listed here. I hope the given features are enough; last but not the least, e-books help the world to avoid cutting down trees for paper. This is a salient feature of e-book revolution.
Let’s do some math. In the USA in one year, 2 billion books are produced. The paper for these books is produced by consuming 32 million trees. We can estimate that one tree yields enough paper for 62.5 books. (Of course, these numbers may vary depending on which expert you choose to believe.)
The 200 million free e-books downloaded from Project Gutenberg and the WEF saved three million and two hundred thousand (3,200,000) trees.
The e-book revolution is a boom to job opportunities thatexist worldwide. Some of them are as follows:
- Continuous writing on different subjects by different authors requires e-book conversion people.
- More work-from-home options for e-book conversions, i.e., no separate office space is required; this provides a big saving on cost.
- Self-publishing—a big opportunity for those interested in publishing their content.
Fixed Layout E-Books
No one can say that reading e-book does not provide the same comfort as reading printed books; the e-book digital revolution makes that statement false by adding FIXED-LAYOUT features.
The fixed-layout e-book preserves the page design and contents such as tables, images, and fonts similar to a printed book. This fixed layout gives the same feeling as that you get while reading the printed books
Final Question within myself
The e-book is changing its trends, aligned with nature and with benefits to human beings. ARE WE?