In the fast growing technology developments, there are large obstacles to protect organizations in their information assets from the range of threats. Every organization wants to protect their data and to achieve this they spend huge investments.
Even an organization’s spent money could not stop some security breaches. To achieve security target, it is required to create policies and procedure or adopt suitable standards which cover the information security like ISO 27001:2013 or some specialist certification depending on their business requirements such as health care organizations that needed HIPAA & HITECH Acts, SOC2 similar Payment Industries may go with PCI- DSS, etc.
However, here we listed few recommendations that are suitable for any industries to keep secured information.
- Creating & implementing suitable information security policy considering business and contractual requirements.
- Ensuring the security policy is enforced properly and measures the results.
- Selecting and applying proper tools to achieve security benefits.
- Restricting back door access.
- Ensuring the continued availability of information systems.
- Inventory and classifications of information assets
- Policies and procedures: The framework that captures top management declaration of direction.
- Creating awareness to users.
- Implementing mobile security policies.
Security awareness and education through training and regular updates:
- Written policies and procedures, and updates
- Non-disclosure statements signed by employees
- Newsletters, web pages, videos, and other media
- Visible enforcement of security rules
- Simulated security incidents and simulated drills
- Rewards for reporting suspicious events
- Periodic audits & reviews
- Monitoring and compliance
- Control includes an element of monitoring and usually relates to regulatory/legal compliance
- Incident handling and response
“Security is not a product that can be purchased"